My Salome Nature

Somewhere along the way you realize the desire to be perfect is not the accomplishment of that feat. Either that paralyzes you, or you make your peace with it. This is my attempt at peace.

Monday, December 06, 2004

Dear God...

Today, don't let me do anything self-destructive. You know how I get.
Today, help me to keep hope about me, in front of me. Remind me to pursue it.
Today, teach me that my purpose in life is not to seek instant gratification. Show me that joy is not pleasure, or happiness, or circumstance.
Today, don't let me ruminate on vindictive thoughts. Give me freedom from my ugliness. Unlock me, so I can leave this cage behind and grow.
Today, let me imagine a future that satisfies us both.

When I am tempted, be strong for me.
When I am scared, be present.
When I am despairing, hold me up.
When I forget, remind me.
When I want to run away, keep me steadfast.
When I want to look the other way, force me to look ahead.
When I am anxious, give me peace.

Sometimes, I can't even think about the things I want to do in this life because it makes me so hyper and I can't calm down. It makes me feel manic. But let me have it, God. Let me stretch out my hand towards it and grasp it. Open these doors that seem so firmly shut. There have been enough tears for one lifetime. Now, it's my turn to smile without compromise.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home