My Salome Nature

Somewhere along the way you realize the desire to be perfect is not the accomplishment of that feat. Either that paralyzes you, or you make your peace with it. This is my attempt at peace.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Talking 'bout my generation.


I feel very privileged to be a part of this generation of mothers. I like that we've come back from the far end of the pendulum swing that scorned everything from the "patriarchal age" without going so far the other way that we ended up in Mrs. Clever's kitchen. Most of the mothers around my age don't automatically default to formula the way our mothers did -- we've got a better understanding of the benefits of breastfeeding and we're willing to give it a good try before feeding our babies from a bottle.

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon making babyfood, and I really enjoy it! I love knowing that I'm in control of everything that goes into my baby's dinner. And what I love even more is the thinking around baby food that I notice more and more with the mothers I encounter today -- most of us make our own food and think nothing of it.

And while I'm still in the minority for using cloth diapers, I know more and more women are researching that option, and recognizing that we only have one planet to leave to our children, are giving it a shot at least. The good news is that cloth diapers are a whole bunch easier than they were when our mothers and their mothers used them. One extra load of laundry every three days and you're done. No pins, no folding, no leaky messes.

As well, I'm grateful to have become a mother in an era in which the benefit of mothering a young infant has been made a priority over work, and now the government will help fund parents to take up to 52 weeks off work to do that.

And finally, I'd just like to say how truly thankful I am for the invention of the exersaucer...

:)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home