My Salome Nature

Somewhere along the way you realize the desire to be perfect is not the accomplishment of that feat. Either that paralyzes you, or you make your peace with it. This is my attempt at peace.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Some people's kids.

You know, when I was pregnant, a woman I used to work with told me, "The only time everyone feels they have a right to offer you advice or instruction is when you're pregnant or when you have a baby". She was right. When I was pregnant, people were constantly telling me what to do, what to eat, what to avoid, how to sleep, how to give birth, where to give birth, how many pounds I should gain, how important it was to do things their way, etc. As if I looked confused. As if I had asked. Constantly.

But, it was nothing compared to having a baby.

I'm astounded by the nerve of people. Complete strangers will come up and tell me what's wrong with Josh, like they've spent every day of the last five and a half months with him and have any idea whatsoever. As if it's somehow escaped me why my baby is crying or what I should do to help him. It blows my mind! I would never walk up to someone and say, "You know, fuscia really makes your rosacia stand out. You might want to try wearing blue instead" or "You know, you really should cut back on the booze. I think you might be an alcoholic". But because I have a baby, I'm considered open season for advice-givers.

I was in the grocery store one day and Josh was having a fit. A woman walked up to me and told me that he was too hot. I was out walking with him one day and Josh was crying in his stroller. A woman stopped me to tell me he was hungry. I had just fed him before we'd left. And yesterday on the streetcar, I was examining the cradle cap that's returned to Josh's scalp and the woman behind me said, and I'm not kidding, "Don't pick at it, love. It'll be all raw in the sun." Then, when I put Josh's hood up over his head so that the sun wouldn't burn his delicate scalp, the woman chimed in with, "There. Now Mommy's thinking."

This audacity blows my mind. It's completely unjustified and insulting. If I were hitting Josh, then come up and stop me. If I left him in a car, call the police. If I dropped him and he was unconcious, call an ambulance. But if he's crying and I'm trying to comfort him, don't come over and tell me what's wrong. This is not your baby. This is not your situation. This is not something you know anything about, so don't assume like it's your right to speak up. Manners, people!

5 Comments:

  • At April 20, 2006 at 4:20:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know what's wrong with Josh?

    Nothing.
    :)


    And yes advice givers are the best people. I know I used to play one on the internet.

    Anyway, hello, we're back home.

     
  • At April 20, 2006 at 3:28:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes, you can't help it. Just watch, soon Josh will get older and you'll catch yourself doing it too! That lady on the train, I totally would have slapped her after the "now Mommy's thinking" comment. Cradle Cap is so fun to scrape off. Chase would lie on my chest asleep and I'd go crosseyed gently scraping it off. But I'm weird, I like to peel sunburns and squeeze at ingrown hairs.

     
  • At April 20, 2006 at 6:51:00 PM PDT, Blogger Help I need a user name! said…

    Hello from Phoenix, Arizona. I have a question...I tried to look it up, but I can't find the meaning of "Salome" unless you're referring to the one in the bible...and since my bible knowledge is not at its peak yet I don't understand. If you have a moment (oh, right, with a new baby!) and could explain it would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the only time I knew anything about raising children was before I had them...guilty! You're doing a fine job, I'm sure.

     
  • At April 20, 2006 at 9:59:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been warned of that too. :/ I'm sorry it's SO true. I don't get much advice right now because I'm alone here, but I'm sure once the baby comes it will be different. People need to mind their own beeswax! *nods*

     
  • At April 22, 2006 at 12:14:00 PM PDT, Blogger Help I need a user name! said…

    Thanks for your reply, and your kind words about my blog. I'm flattered, really. Yes, your username is really quite clever. I also think your thoughts about how God created us with both an evil side and a good side are right on target. I never knew that one of the women who went to dress Jesus' body was named that, as well. Very interesting and thought-provoking.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home