My Salome Nature

Somewhere along the way you realize the desire to be perfect is not the accomplishment of that feat. Either that paralyzes you, or you make your peace with it. This is my attempt at peace.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Well, I'm in now. It's been an interesting few days, if I can use understatement here. The day before the move, I broke my big toe. Then, I almost set the kitchen of the new place on fire. AND I had a visit with my ex's parents to collect the furniture stored in their basement. All in one sweet day.

The move day itself was a masterpiece. Swift, uncomplicated, easy. Even in the heat (just so's you know, I had picked what turned out to be the hottest day of the summer thus far for moving. That's right.) Well, maybe it was easy for me because I wasn't lifting anything up and down the stairs, on account of my bad toe and all. But my friends proved themselves extrodinary all over again by forming a line up the stairs and passing the boxes and furniture up to the top where more people were waiting for me to give direction as to their places in my new home. There were four or five teenage boys here even, and they blew my mind with their hard work. I cannot believe how many people showed up to help. A few of my friends stayed late to make sure the air conditioners were installed (hallelujah!) and to put away my clothes, make the bed, unpack the kitchen... and then we had a lovely meal with a big, fat toast to happiness in the new place.

The morning after, I opened my door to a man smoking crack outside my house. Nothing says "welcome to the neighbourhood!" like illicit, destructive drug use right on your front stoop. Then, when we returned from Josh's first trip to daycare (waaa waaaahhhhhh!) we got to witness a couple more fellows engaged in a little dealing. It was all very Miamia Vice, short of a few cops in pastel suits to save the day.

This afternoon, Josh and I went to a nearby park to have a little picnic after daycare. There are no words to describe the old lady I saw walking her dog, wearing a t-shirt that said, "Huff my Lysol". So I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, it's not all boohoo and woe-is-me. Friends, this is the sweetest, most delectable place I've ever lived in. I have so much room I can't even think of what to do with it all. This is like, an adult's place. And it looks beautiful. I'll take some photos and post them because it's just so lovely (so long as I don't open the door to the outside.) And I'm so close to everything. I can walk to work in five short minutes. I can walk to the Eaton Centre in ten. I can walk to the gym, I can walk to Sharon & Shannon's, I can walk to the grocery store, drug store, hardware store, coffee shop and bank, all with lots of time to spare. I could get used to this.

Hope you all had a great weekend. I'm bagged with a capital BAG. Good night.

2 Comments:

  • At July 19, 2006 at 7:04:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're happy it went well (minus the toe, ex n' heat -- sounds like a band!)!!

     
  • At July 21, 2006 at 7:01:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry about your toe. Ugh that sucks. I sprained an ankle the night before I moved once, and didn't have the friends to help - so I pretty much moved most of my stuff myself - with my brother and a friend doing theheavy stuff for beer. lol

    Sherm says hi and sends hugs and kisses, btw. :P

    SO GLAD that behind your door, it's a peaceful and pretty world. :) I didn't much like the neighbourhood I was in, in chicago, not as bad as yours, but not too much better. But the whole experience was worth it, and I think it led me to a place of contentment in my life right now. I've experienced the "single in the city" (although myheart was spoken for already) so I was ready for the SAHm stuff. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home