My Salome Nature

Somewhere along the way you realize the desire to be perfect is not the accomplishment of that feat. Either that paralyzes you, or you make your peace with it. This is my attempt at peace.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

One more thing.

I've talked about Anne Lamott a lot. She's my hero, really and truly. She and I have such similar life situations that I sometimes feel she's channelling me, or that we're living in parallel universes or something equally Twilight Zone.

I have been reading (for the third time) her book called Operating Instructions. It's a journal of her son's first year of life (she's a single mother, too). Yesterday on my way home I read this:

"I'm so hungry for a partner, a lover. One thing I know for sure, though, is that when you are hungry, it is an act of wisdom each time you turn down a spoonful if you know that the food is poisoned."

I'm not the kind of girl who takes the bad thing, just because it's available, and because it's better than nothing. I've been very content to take the nothing instead. In that moment yesterday, it was good to be reminded of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home