My Salome Nature

Somewhere along the way you realize the desire to be perfect is not the accomplishment of that feat. Either that paralyzes you, or you make your peace with it. This is my attempt at peace.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Yesterday, I got to go back to the gym for the first time since October, thanks to my very special friends Sharon and Shannon who watched Josh for me. As soon as I stepped onto the elliptical, I felt a rush backwards -- into everything that I used to be before having a baby. In shape. Depressed (but working on it.) Powerful, despite everything. It was such a trip. I spent the saddest months of my life on the elliptical and stairmaster. Somehow, when I got on them, everything else became manageable, and the same was true yesterday, too. After I got past the first 10 minutes, I felt like I could keep going indefinitely, and to be honest, it was tempting. For a short while, it didn't matter that I'm not his prize and never will be, it didn't matter that I'm a single mother of a baby who never sleeps longer than 2.5 hours at a time, it didn't matter that I feel trapped in my life... I just zoned out and got a little bit high on the endorphins. It sure beats the old coping mechanisms of my past -- wine, cigarettes and pills.

I didn't want to leave the gym, but I didn't want to take advantage of Sharon and Shannon's goodwill. Walking back to their apartment, I felt totally free. I was able to just walk down the street without worrying about the wind blowing too strongly in Josh's face. I was able to go into the Second Cup without trying to wrangle the stroller through the door. I was able to go to the bank without worrying about him freaking out and throwing a fit that would cause everyone to look at me like I'm a terrible mother. For a moment, yesterday, I had myself back and it was glorious. I didn't feel the desperation I do day in and day out (which I think allows me to obsess about the Boy Who Will Never Love Me.) I felt so good, I wanted to spin around and throw my hat in the air. It was a little bit like heroin, I think.

5 Comments:

  • At March 9, 2006 at 7:35:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hopefully running with me will feel that way too.
    Hope has volunteered for the odd Thursday as well, so has cody if we can get him into the comfort zone with Josh.

    i am glad the gym was so great!!!
    love and laffs
    K

     
  • At March 14, 2006 at 7:39:00 AM PST, Blogger Trent said…

    It is like heroin. Lately I have been feeling pretty smothered. Some days I just crave my life back. I have lost all sense of identity. I only go out when invited and when I have free time (which is usually at really inopportune times) I have no ideas on what to do.
    Wanna start a support group?
    Wanna come visit soon? I would come get you even. I miss you. I love that you bare your soul no matter what. My soul, on the other hand, is in a locked metal box in the basement. I think I put it there by mistake a few years ago. Now I've lost the key.
    Tp

     
  • At March 15, 2006 at 4:24:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't resist saying that anyone who thinks exercise is like heroin has never tried heroin.

     
  • At March 17, 2006 at 9:21:00 AM PST, Blogger Trent said…

    Maryellen, you will have to forward this to Malik:

    exercise is not like heroin....freedom from your children is like heroin.

    Good God, you obviously haven't met me. The only thing comparable between heroin and exercise is that they can kill you. I've never been inside a gym!!

     
  • At April 4, 2006 at 11:54:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Special friends eh? Dude, you make us sound like we're retarded. It's not like we like "I Just Called to Say I Love You' or something...

    Love you,
    Sharon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home